Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year, New Word

For the past few years I’ve thoughtfully selected a word in which to theme the start of a new year. I have personally found this to be more beneficial than setting forth a list of resolutions or must-dos. While the word is a theme it also relates to a skill-set I wish to develop. Rather than sweeping changes, I work to incorporate this word or theme into each thing I do throughout the incoming year. I have learned a lot about myself through this process the past few years.

As I reflected on 2015 the past few days I realize my selected word was a powerful force for me as I charted a lot of new territory personally, professionally, physically and spiritually. We welcomed our first child and navigated the ever-changing waters of being new parents, caring for an infant, ourselves and our relationship. I have been given a wonderful opportunity when given a chance to expand my role at work which has allowed for many opportunities of growth and development. I’ve been able to travel and explore, I committed myself to a pretty consistent yoga practice and I continue to hone my meditation skills. Not everything is a picnic in life so there are ups and downs, learning opportunities and setbacks. But overall, what I learned in 2015 is that being present in the moment and trusting the plan provide relief, sanctuary and fortitude when life’s path can be circuitous. Just as it provides blissful joy during moments of path confirming experiences.

Taking this into account as I reflected on the closing year and looked ahead to 2016, I realized that time spent in constant motion, always planning – being – doing to position for the next step in the journey may not be the best approach. Does over planning, being caught up in the next two steps and possible outcomes draw away the power of present?

I have many aspirations and hopes for this new year. I may equally have as many worries, more so than ever before and maybe there are a lot of good reasons for that. In an attempt to move away from that which I cannot control and that which no longer serves me, I want to be honorable with my word, thought and action. Simply, I want to do what I say I am going to do.

Doing what you say you’re going to do seems simple, but it can be a challenge, for me at least. I often catch myself saying I am going to do ALL these things. Over planning every moment of each day, month, year, life. It can be exhausting and frustrating…and often led to disappointment and rigidity to the dips and turns and new doorways our path can provide us. So this year, I am going to continue to be focused in the moment at hand while remaining thoughtful of the future but not overly so to where I lose sight of the beauty and options that being flexible can provide. I am going to say only what I mean and follow through on that which I agree to, set my mind to and commit to honestly and wholeheartedly. That may cause the need to say no or not right now more often which I can predict will be hard but needed. I hope to execute the plans I have yet remain buoyant and supple.

I hope you had 2015 full of growth and joy; and, that 2016 brings you contentment and health.

Cheers! 
Jessica 

No comments:

Post a Comment